It is so important for every guitar player to have at least a basic understanding of guitar theory... that is, how music theory relates to the guitar.
Guitar theory shouldn't be boring, because it describes how things work, and gives us rules that we can use to make great sounding music. When we pair a bit of theory together with a bit of skill on the guitar, great things can happen.
The easiest way to understand guitar theory is by learning the number system. You'll find quite a few references to that in the lessons on this page, but I go into far more detail on that in my Unlocking I IV V course which I really encourage you to check out. You'll likely be surprised how a basic 2 hour lesson can really change the way you approach your guitar.
Alright, do you have your guitar in hand? Let's get started.
Guitar Theory Lessons
- All my favorite songs - without using blasted sheet music!
- Can THEORY be used to create MELODY?
- Why The Guitar is a MINOR Instrument
- Tips For Changing Keys In A Song
- What IS Guitar Theory?
- Songwriting Tips - Getting Started
- The Difference Between Major and Minor Chords
- How To Transpose Chords With a Guitar Capo
- Learning the Notes on the Fretboard: Tones & Semitones